CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Life

I didn't mean to leave you, blog...

I'm coming back... life is just... LIFE right now.

1) Concert Festival is approaching. I'm anxious/ excited/ frustrated. The big day is Tuesday. It seems like there are too many band directors who think this event is the end all, be all. Truth is- I teach my tail off every single day. I get a ton of kids in region band/ all-state, have a bunch of students who make superiors at S&E, but often feel bad about myself because I usually make an excellent at concert festival.

I know too many directors who begin rote teaching CF music into their students in October. I'm not one of those (if I were, I wouldn't have as many kids in Region/ All-State, etc). So honestly? We're not perfect on our music. We might get another excellent rating instead of that "superior" if the judges are tough. BUT- I can truly say that I've tried to give my students a great experience and they are beginning to sound great! We've had after-school rehearsals, brought in professional musicians for masterclasses, had a pre-festival concert with guest judges, and brought in a guest clinician. They also get my best each day. A few days ago a student told me that Thursday (our after-school rehearsal day) was his favorite day of the week because of rehearsal.

So- why am I so concerned about what others will think of me if my group doesn't earn that superior??? :(

2) I have learned so much from my mom and dad. They continue to amaze me with how big their hearts can be. They not only care for my family, but they also care for my extended family. My heart is heavy for some of my extended family members who are going through tough times right now, but my parents hearts are open... ready to do whatever needs to be done.

3) Jason just got a NEW job!! He is working at the same place, but he will be in a supervisory role, beginning MONDAY! This job is also more of a Monday-Friday 8-5 position (sometimes it will be different). I'm excited to have my husband back on weekends, holidays and evenings!!!

No comments: