Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Post With One Photo Too Much...

By the way... this is one of those posts you may want to skip. It has one picture that just might make you sick, but I <3 to remember the good, bad and ugly... and this is UGLY. 

My sick boy this afternoon... getting better and better!!

Grayson has had a few rough days. It all began Saturday afternoon. I was judging Region Band, Jason was working, and Grayson was staying with Mom. I called her at lunch to check on him. She said he was being sweet but that his little cheeks were red and that he *might* have a fever. I chalked it up to the cold weather, teething, running around like a crazy guy, etc. His fever and red cheeks seemed to go away. 

Sunday afternoon he took his regular nap. When he woke up, he had a definite fever, red cheeks, and his ear was full of earwax. I was concerned. SO... I posted a photo of his ear on Facebook. Crazy?? I know... I've got to work on it. 

Here is what I posted... that isn't TOO terrible is it?? 

I heard from mommies, daddies, nurses, and one pediatrician. Everyone said I should take him to the doctor. I called my Assistant Principal and told her that I needed to work a half day. I thought I could teach through third period and then take him to the pediatrician. 

That night was AWFUL. I had forgotten what it was like to be a parent who never slept. Grayson just cried and cried. I almost cried. It was terrible. Around 4 a.m. he finally got to sleep. When my alarm clock went off at 6, I immediately called my Assistant Principal again and told her that we were going to need to beat the doctor to his office and that I needed to take a full day. 

The pediatrician checked him over (while Grayson screamed and cried) and said that both ears were infected and that one eardrum had ruptured. He prescribed him some antibiotics and said to come back in two weeks. He said that his ears would still run and that they treat ruptured eardrums the same as everything else. 

Monday night seemed just as bad. He had a hard time getting to sleep and I felt myself getting upset. Somehow, he managed to finally fall asleep and sleep through the night. It was glorious. 

I went to school on Tuesday. Jason stayed at home with Grayson. During first period I got this, EXTREMELY GROSS picture from Jason. He said this is what his ear looked like when he woke up:


I was concerned, but Jason said he didn't have a fever. He carefully cleaned Grayson's ear with a Q-tip and sent him on his way. When I got home he was back to his normal self. I was so happy!!

He'll be on antibiotics until the middle of next week, and then he goes in for a recheck. We're hoping to get a great report from the doctor. Thankfully this has only been Grayson's second ear infection (the first when he was only 6 months old) so we're not currently looking at having to get tubes put into his ears. 

This afternoon Grayson cried twice. Both times were when he decided it would be fun to jump off the couch onto his "thinking chair" but he missed the chair. His ears?? No complaints! :) 

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Poor baby. I'm glad he's on the road to recovery. And poor you, too! I've watched Keith writhe in pain while his eardrum ruptured; I know it's terrible to see the one you love hurting so much.